Friday, May 2, 2014

What's new and missing in MAYA 2015: keep faces together on extrude

So I can't really say why there is so much removed and moved in Maya 2015 but I can shed some light on how to get some of your options back.

 For 2015 the "keep faces together" radio button has been removed from the top of the polygon menus.Also, the extrude tool listed is the one for the modeling tool kit, not the original Maya extrude.

and for those of you don't want to commit to the modeling tool kit, this can be a bit of a pain.
 

You need to access the old extrude tool via the shift LMB over your geo marking menu. ( down for extrude Face)

 There is also no option in the extrude tools option box, which I'm gonna flag as a bug.


So you can just do you're extrude and then edit the extrude node in the channel box ( orange arrow below ), or you can use shift + cntrl + RMB and get the extrude options marking menu and "toggle keep faces together" Personally I  would rather this was "turn on, or turn off" as toggling assumes you already know the current state.  



I'm currently hunting down the env to set the default on this. ( for me its ON by default ) which I like.but from what I understand this is not true for everyone. 

update:   
 running "togglePolyMoveComponents" will toggle the actual ENV . so if you are currrently ON by default it will make it off by default, and OFF to ON . 













1 comment:

  1. In Maya 2015 the 'keep faces together' option has been moved to the settings window. (I have no clue why; I preferred it the older way as well.)

    Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences. Then under Settings > Modeling there is a check box for Keep Faces Together under Polygons.

    ReplyDelete